Avid S6: Mixing Redefined
For over 20 years, Avid has led the way in mixing innovation, and now it redefines it once again with the all-new S6 control surface. Leveraging the best of the industry-leading ICON and System 5 product families in a revolutionary new modular design, S6 delivers superior ergonomics and intelligent studio control, providing an intuitive, immersive experience for the modern sound engineer. And because it’s built on proven technology, trusted by top audio professionals in the most demanding production environments, S6 delivers the performance you need to complete projects faster and deliver the best sounding mixes possible.
• Customise the surface with only the modules you need for great cost efficiency
• Mix faster and easier with intelligently designed controls, touchscreen, and intuitive layout
• See your mix in a whole new way with detailed visual feedback and professional metering
• Experience highly responsive, precision control with high-speed EUCON connectivity
• Scale the system from mid- to large-format to match your workflow, with room to grow
• Access and manipulate multiple aspects of your mix through the master touchscreen
• Extend your control to Logic Pro, Nuendo, and other EUCON-enabled DAWs
• Configure, scale, and reconfigure the surface easily through the Ethernet network
Revolutionary Modular Design
S6 is built to grow with you at every stage of your business—now and in the future. With a first-of-its-kind modular design, you can customise the surface with the modules you need to match your current workflow for the greatest cost efficiency, and scale the surface—horizontally and vertically—as your business grows. Choose a pre-configured S6 M10 or S6 M40 surface with the options you need or, with S6 M40, customise the surface even further with different channel control combinations.
S6 acts and feels like a physical extension of your software, providing a truly intuitive and immersive experience. Turn around projects faster with high- precision editing and mixing control at your fingertips. Quickly access and edit plug-ins, surround panning, and more with the multipoint touchscreen. And see every detail of your mix with unprecedented visual feedback, including waveform scrolling.
Intelligent Studio Control
Experience the deep DAW control that only Avid can deliver. Pair S6 with Pro Tools and you gain the Avid advantage of faster workflows and unique features to accelerate your efficiency every step of the way. And extend your control to Logic Pro, Nuendo, and other EUCON™-enabled DAWs, enabling you to mix projects on multiple DAWs simultaneously and switch out sessions in seconds—all from a single control surface.
Proven and Trusted Technology
S6 delivers incredible workflow acceleration, highly responsive handling, and deep DAW integration—all built on proven technology, trusted by top audio professionals in the most demanding production environments. The result: you get the exceptional, dynamic performance you need to deliver your best sounding mix possible—on time, every time.
Build Your Own Console
Because S6 can be scaled both horizontally and vertically using an array of surface modules, you can configure it with the modules you need now to fit your budget, with room to expand as your needs grow. Choose one of the pre-configured systems or build your own. Here’s a look at the various modules and other hardware you can choose.
Channel modules—The controls you want and need
Channel modules provide the control and feedback elements you need—from faders and knobs, to processing and metering. All modules feature reliable, high-speed Ethernet connectivity for easy set-up. Whether a pre-configured surface meets your needs or you want to mix and match modules in your own custom creation, here are the modules you can choose:
S6 Fader Module
• Eight motorised faders
• Dual tri-colour LED meters per channel (with gain reduction meter)
• Mute, solo, and other switches with colour LEDs
• Control levels for eight simultaneous tracks
S6 Knob Module
• 32 multicolour LED top-lit knobs (four per channel) 32 OLED displays for labels and visual feedback
• 11 function select switches per channel with colour LEDs
• Works in conjunction with the Process Module
• Control up to 32 simultaneous encoder values; stack two Knob Modules (S6 M40-based surfaces only) to get up to nine knobs per channel
S6 Process Module
• Eight multicolour LED top-lit knobs (one per channel)
• 22 function select switches per channel with colour LEDs
• Eight OLED displays for labels and visual feedback
• Provides mode selectors for Knob Modules to control up to nine simultaneous encoder values
S6 Display Module
• 8-channel high-resolution TFT display
• Integrated single board computer
• Available only with S6 M40 configurations
• Provides deep visual feedback, including channel names, audio meters, routing groups, DAW affiliation, scrolling Pro Tools waveforms, and more
S6 Automation Module
This master module is included in all pre-configured systems, but is an optional add when building your own S6 M40-based surface (though you’d probably want one). It features a full transport control section (including a shuttle/jog wheel), focus fader, automation control, colour shortcut displays and switches, a numeric keypad, and more for writing automation and navigating project
M40 vs M10
The engine you choose dictates the total number of modules you can include in your S6 and impacts its overall size and customisability. Choose the high-performance M40 for large-scale productions that require maximum channels, high-resolution metering screens, and customisability, or the more affordable M10 for productions that need to fit into smaller rooms and budgets. Both feature a tilting 12.1-inch multipoint touchscreen, eight adjacent rotary encoders, and dedicated knobs and keys for monitoring and global control, enabling you to view, access, and edit different aspects of your mix—such as tracks, processing, and metering—without mousing through menus.
Surface accessories—Ergonomic extras to personalise your desk
• Blank Panel—Cover empty module spaces with a smooth surface
• Display VESA Arm—Mount your DAW monitor on the surface with an adjustable arm
• Producer’s Desk—Integrate a keyboard and DAW display directly into your control surface
• Sliding Keyboard Tray—Get hands-on with your computer keyboard wherever you’re sitting
• Sliding Script Tray—Hold pen, paper, and your personal devices within easy reach
• Speaker Bridge Mount—Place speakers in an optimal position with the S6 frame
For further information on the Avid S6 consoles please visit: Avid Technology